My backpack died. It wasn’t even a slow death. It was go on a trip, come home and think “Well, that might need to be replaced before too long,” to packing for a trip and the seams blew out.
I did what I always do when something (like luggage) needs to be replaced. I went to the Tom Bihn on-line store. I decided to go with a small-ish, 17 liter, duffel bag instead of a backpack. Backpack sizing is tricky for me since I’m so short, um err . . . petite. When the seams blew out, I borrowed Hannah’s duffel bag for that trip and really loved the horizontal packing. It felt right. It felt good.
I ended up with the Yeoman Duffel Mini in Verde 1050 ballistic fabric.
- External Dimensions: 17.3” x 7.7” (h) x 9.3” (d)
- Weight: 14.8 oz
- Volume: 1050 cubic inches / 17 liters
Into the bag I was able to pack:
- Specter Small Cube: 3 shirts, 1 pair pants, 3 underwear
- Specter Quarter Cube: PJs, 2 pair socks, bra
- Specter Quarter Cube: cardigan
- 3-1-1 bag: all my toiletries
- Tech bag: phone stand, charger, earbuds, extra fountain pen cartridges, pencil, colored pencils, pencil sharpener
- Blanket-in-a-bag (very lightweight)
- Even a pair of spare shoes (that in the end, I left home)
It was very easy to carry and I never worried that the ballistic fabric would snag or tear. It stores in a travel sized pillow case along with all the packing cubes, kit bags, and the blanket.
In my zip-top shopping bag I carried:
- My purse which includes: my iPhone 7, my wallet, glass case (I alternated between sunglasses and regular glasses in there), and my utensils-to-go kit.
- My waterbottle (I took the Brita bottle so I could have filtered water.)
- The book I am reading (Braiding Sweetgrass)
- My passport size journal + fountain pen
- My Welsh spiral notebook
What I’m reading: Braiding Sweetgrass, A Canticle for Liebowitz
What I’m listening to: UpFirst, The Blood of Olympus (Percy Jackson),
What I’m working on: Eco-Living Project for home and for church, Igniting the Flame last 3 units.