- The letters C, M, B have two meanings. They are the initials of the traditional names of the three magi: Caspar, Melchior, and Balthazar.
- They also abbreviate the Latin words Christus mansionem benedicat, “May Christ bless the house.”
- The “+” signs represent the cross and 2018 is the year.
- 4-4 1/4cups flour
- 2 tsp dry yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 1/2 tsp orange zest, thinly stripped
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon zest, thinly stripped
- 1/2 cup raisins, cherries, cranberries (whichever your family likes best)
- 1 whole almond
- 1 egg, beaten with 1Tbsp water
- 1/8 cup apricot jam
- 1 Tbsp hot water
In the bowl of a standing mixer, beat together all ingredients except for the almond, egg wash, and coating.
Once a soft, smooth ball forms, set it aside to rise until doubled in bulk. About 2 1/2 hours. Be sure to cover it and place in a warm spot.
Divide the dough into 8 Pieces, one a little larger than the rest.
Roll each piece into a ball and arrange the 7 smaller balls around the slightly larger one on a sheet pan, forming a flower.
Let rise another 30 minutes, then brush with the egg wash.
Preheat the oven to 375F.
Prepare the glaze by mixing the apricot jelly with a tablespoon of hot water.
Bake the rolls for 30-40 minutes, or until deep golden brown.
Brush with several coats of apricot glaze and sprinkle with the coarse sugar
Once the bread is cool enough to handle, poke an almond into the bottom of one of the rolls.
Morning Office: Psalm 46, Psalm 97, Matt 12:14-21
Vespers: Psalm 96, Psalm 100
Weather: 14-23 degrees F, sunny, waning gibbous moon. Sunrise-Sunset = 8:00-5:35
Reading, Watching, Listening . . .
Celtic Book of Days, Commonwealth, Every Earthly Blessing
Star Trek: Voyager (rest time) and Fringe (family time)
Harry Potter 6 (as I fall asleep)